For over 30 years, Keep Prince William Beautiful has served as the community’s resource for litter cleanups. Whether along the Route 1 corridor, supporting a community group or tending to an area that has been long neglected, KPWB can support cleanups of any size within the county. Cleanups take approximately 3 to 4 hours each, including the time it takes to file a cleanup report.
Community cleanups are essential to a sustainable future in Prince William County. Clean communities aren’t just aesthetically pleasing, they’re places with engaged citizens, more active local economies, higher property values, healthier environments, and improved public safety. Engaging citizens in community cleanups returns ownership to the community resulting in reduced litter and a healthier community.
Is your neighborhood in need of a little TLC? Organizing a neighborhood cleanup is a great opportunity to get to know your neighbors and beautify your community at the same time.
If you are planning an opportunity for residents to dispose of household or backyard junk and clutter you will need to arrange a dumpster for your event, preferably a large container called a “roll-off dumpster.”
- If you want to arrange a dumpster cleanup accessible to your neighborhood residents only, you will need to work with a local waste hauler. Keep Prince William Beautiful can help you by providing “landfill vouchers” to allow the contents of your dumpster to be disposed of for free at Prince William County’s Sanitary Landfill. Mentioning these vouchers to your local haulers may help you to negotiate a better price!
- Another option is to coordinate your cleanup day with the free dumpsters that are offered by Prince William County government at their annual Dumpster Days. Dumpster Days are held at central locations in different areas of the county during the spring or fall. Some of these events also may also include free document shredding. For more information and a schedule of County Dumpster Days, click here.
- Choose spot; KPWB will recommend a spot upon request and offers planned opportunities throughout the year.
- Register cleanup with KPWB.
- Check out KPWB Cleanup Success Kit online.
- Pick-up supplies from KPWB Office.
- Report number of volunteers, hours, amount of litter collected and provide photos upon completion of event.
When a cleanup is registered through the program, KPWB provides all of the materials needed to cleanup, which may include gloves, grabbers, trash bags, level 3 safety vests, first aid kit, volunteer giveaways, water, snacks, landfill vouchers, and litter education/safety training.