Please keep in mind that some materials cannot be accepted at the County’s Landfill as part of regular trash and must be disposed of separately. Educate your participants about items that cannot be collected during a community cleanup. Prince William County provides special locations where these items may be dropped off for recycling and/or special handling. In addition to certain hazardous materials, residents may also drop-off electronic equipment (computers, televisions, cell phones, etc.) at the County’s Landfill and Balls Ford Road Composting Facility for recycling.
How To Plan A Successful Community Cleanup
- Contact the local news outlet to see if they will do a write up of the event.
- Make sure you have enough gloves (latex and cotton) for every volunteer.
- Assign one volunteer to scout for recyclables, and only recyclables. That way you can make sure you are diverting as much litter as possible from ending up in the landfill.
- Plan an alternate date in case of inclement weather or other unexpected issues that may arise. Approximately 30% of community cleanups each year are rescheduled.
- Make sure there’s enough water and snacks on hand for everyone.