A few thoughts from KPWB’s Executive Director:
The COVID-19 situation is evolving daily, and with such quick evolution comes great uncertainty. While the uncertainty is understandable and we applaud all individuals who are upholding the self-quarantine and minimizing social interactions, we need to remember to continue to care for our environment during these times, too.
- Make sure you are following the most recent updates to your trash and recycling pick-up or drop-off. If you live in the City of Manassas, check here for updates. If you live in Prince William County, check here for Landfill updates. If your trash pick-up dates change, it’s important to put your trash out on the correct day to avoid any potential spillage. Continue to place your waste and your recycling IN the bins, rather than on the ground, and be mindful that no bits and pieces run amok.
- Litter still needs to be picked up. Even though we are not hosting our Community Litter Cleanups, we are still able to provide supplies to any individuals or families that would like to get outside if they are stuck at home. We can work with you to arrange supply drop-off, just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get you set up.
- If you want a solo adventure, we can email you our Shopping Center Litter Survey forms and do an over-the-phone program briefing to get you started. Avoid contact with people and help us keep an eye on the litter problem in our shopping centers, what’s not to like??
- Making your own cleaning and body care products can prevent extra trips to the store and you can avoid the potential outcome that stores may be out of your much-needed product. Wellness Mama is a good place to start. If you want a more in-depth experience in making your own products, I highly recommend James Green’s The Herbal Medicine-Maker’s Handbook and Herbal Healing for Women by Rosemary Gladstar.
- Make time to simply walk in the woods. Breathe deep the peace that trees exude and smile at all the blooming things. Add a little challenge with some more strenuous terrain if you want more of a workout and to help your body focus on physical exertion rather than mental anguish. Alltrails can help you plan your route, and Endomondo can help you track your hikes (and home workouts if you’re so inclined).
- Educate yourself on how the pollution is clearing and Earth is changing in light of this epidemic. But, continue to educate yourself on how this virus may affect short- and long-term global climate negotiations.
Though we are facing uncertain times, don’t let go of your innate connection with the Earth. Take care of yourself, wash your hands, and keep working for a healthy, green community.